Tuesday, May 29, 2012

guts

I've been meaning to do this for awhile. Write, I mean.

You know that feeling where you're standing at the edge of the pool? The concrete is hot and wet and steamy under your heels, but your toes feel unsure of themselves, curled around bright blue tiles. 

There's water dripping from your suit because the shallow end is safe and you've already made friends with it. It's got limits, the shallow end, and you have complete control over whether or not the water goes near your eyeballs. Boun-da-ries, shallow end. Con-trol. Fake diamond earring water drops fall from your earlobes, too, because you were flirting your ears with the shallow end and got them wet, pretending like eyeballs might be happening today, but they didn't (of course) because you're not like that. And neither is the shallow end, no matter what the other kids are doing in it.

But then you got out because you have freakishly burnable skin and your mom makes you put on more sunscreen several times, and now you are dripping and you want to get back in so that the Coppertone smell will go away, and Dad yells, "Hey, Annie! Jump in!" before you can go back to the zero-depth place.

And oh-dear-goodness, he's in the deep end. The over HIS head deep end. Like some sort of crazy, danger-obsessed man. Does he realize how tall he is? How tall this makes the pool? How many tiny yous would have to drown so that the one remaining you could stand on their shoulders and climb out? How you and the water and the eyeballs are just not happening today?

But dads are persuasive, and you find yourself standing there, breathing the last breaths you might ever take, and he's just smiling, reaching up, his feet treading water. "I'll catch you!"

He's insane. 

You hesitate. You glance at the shallow end. Boun-da-ries. You glance at Mom on a pool chair. Con-trol.

"C'mon, Annie. Jump in!"

You scream when your feet hit the water, when you realize what you've done and you wish with all your heart and breath and brain that you could rewind about five seconds of your life. Sorry, eyeballs. Sorry, breathing. I didn't mean it. Really, I didn't. I loved you. I loved you so much, eyeballs.

And Dad catches you, and it feels sort of safe because he is Dad and he is tall and strong and can swim, and it also feels terrifying because he is insane. And you have water in your eyeballs and they sting angrily, victims of your wild lapse of boun-da-ries, and Dad's laughing and asking if it was fun, and you sort of want to say "yeah" because well, it was, but you also want to get the hell out of the pool and go sit with Mom forever.

But you do it again. 

So, yeah, that feeling? This. Guts.

Many, many people have been encouraging me to do this and plunge in, and I am vastly thankful for all of you, even though I've just insinuated that you're all insane (I'm standing by that, with love).

I don't really know what I'm doing here, or what I'm going to write about. I could bore you with the woes of my daily life, or tell you the poem I wrote when my brother left his dishes to crust over in the sink for the bajillionth time (woe #1). I could write more things like this and give you a vague impression of what a terrifyingly weird kid I was. I could regale you with the stories that float around in my head, like the cloud palace of the Nimmos or the sad fate of the man who was born with all of his magic in his left ear.

I could rant about things that get my goat, like when people ignore the people who need them, or when young adult fiction writers collectively decide that it is impossible for an already-confident young woman to "come of age" and not spend the first chapter/first half/first book dithering about her lack of self-esteem/purpose/boyfriend. I could write random little observations about how bare oak branches against a purpled sky make my heart fly out of my chest for no reason, or how sometimes love is more about dirt-under-fingernails than butterflies-in-stomachs.

I will probably do all of those things in some shape, though I promise nothing. I can promise that they won't all be this long or this rambly. But I am tired, and I have been glancing at the shallow end for the last hour. So I'm going to do a crazy, gutsy thing and click publish.

In about two minutes, there will be screaming.

Catch me?

3 comments:

Alex said...

"you sort of want to say "yeah" because well, it was, but you also want to get the hell out of the pool and go sit with Mom forever.

But you do it again."

"love is more about dirt-under-fingernails than butterflies-in-stomachs.

Love these both so much. Love it all. Glad you clicked publish. Glad you wrote all that you did. Glad you sat down to do it. Way to be big. Way to be real. Way to be you.

Reminds me of...
"Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The remendous things that followed were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel, alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait." - J R R Tolkien

Steph said...

The only screaming I heard was my own...from excitement that you finally started a blog! : ) Love it.

Tammy Helfrich said...

Congrats!! Hitting publish on the first one is so hard. But you did it!! I'm excited to hear more from you. Your voice matters!!